BlogThe latest for Creators, Brands, and Fans
Need I say more? I’m tempted to end the blog post here. But I won’t. Hashtag support has come to YouTube!
In a pretty quiet update, YouTube has enabled support for hashtags within search – surfacing new and trending videos. Typically when you search on YouTube, you’re presented with results that are determined by top-secret algorithms (which usually focus on solid ratings and engagement). Searching hashtags, however, will show you a few trending videos, but will also show you newly created videos in that topic. #HUGE
Of course you do! Whether you’re uploading a new video, or editing old ones, now’s your chance to get in on YouTube’s hashtag game before everyone else starts doing it.
But not so fast…
Before you go hashtag crazy, just like regular metadata, there are rules you must follow. We don’t want your videos getting yanked for community violations. Per YouTube:
Like all content uploaded to YouTube, hashtags must meet our Community Guidelines. Make sure to follow these policies when using hashtags:
- No spaces: Hashtags don’t contain any spaces. If you want to have two words in a hashtag, you can join them together (
- Over-tagging: Don’t add too many tags a single video. The more tags you add to a video, the less relevant they become for users who are searching. If a video has more than 15 hashtags, we’ll ignore all hashtags on that video. Over-tagging may result in the removal of your video from your uploads or from search.
- Misleading content: Don’t add hashtags that are not directly related to the video. Misleading or unrelated hashtags may result in the removal of your video. Learn more about our Misleading Metadata Policies or watch the Misleading metadata on YouTube video.
- Harassment: Don’t add a hashtag with the purpose of harassing, humiliating, intimidating, exposing, or threatening an individual or group. Violating this policy will result in the removal of your video. Learn more about our Harassment & Cyber Bullying Policies.
- Hate speech: Don’t add any hashtags that promote violence or hatred against individuals or groups. Don’t add hashtags that contain racist, sexist, or other slurs. Violating this policy will result in the removal of your video. Learn more about our Hate Speech Policy.
- Sexual content: Adding sexual or explicit hashtags may result in the removal of your video. Remember, if a video is intended to be sexually provocative, it is less likely to be acceptable for YouTube. Learn more about our Sexual Content Policy.
- Vulgar language: Use of profanity or offensive terms in your hashtags may lead to an age-restriction or removal of your video.
- Non-hashtags: While adding hashtags is allowed, adding ordinary descriptive tags or repetitive sentences in the description is (still) prohibited. Violating this policy will result in the removal of your video or penalties being applied to your video. Learn more about our Misleading Metadata Policies or watch the Misleading metadata on YouTube video
And a disclaimer from Fullscreen: Editing the metadata of older videos can cause YouTube to re-index them in search, resulting in slightly lower views for a few days.
Now go, hashtagger!
Hashtagger is probably not a word, but GO! Throw some hashtags on your videos and don’t forget to let us know how it goes! Shoot a Tweet to @FullscreenNet with your results after the first week.
Oh, and May the Fourth be with you! Follow Howard @Pinsky on Twitter.